Re: Critique of EPS/RIN/RCUK/DTI "Evidence-Based Analysis of Data Concerning Scholarly Journal Publishing"

From: FrederickFriend <ucylfjf_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:43:48 +0100

I agree with Stevan that if "Nuclear Physics B" is vulnerable to
cancellation it is not because of OA but because librarians think carefully
about high-cost journals when it comes to priorities within a restricted
budget. I also agree that Astronomy has features which make it untypical. It
is therefore disappointing that the authors of the EPS/RIN/RCUK/DTI study
use Michael Kurtz's valuable work to reach the following general conclusion:
"The little existing evidence suggests that a possible reason for increased
citation counts is..... that authors put their best work into OA format". My
personal experience is that if authors go OA they make as much of their work
OA as possible, not only the best work. The study authors were closer to the
mark when they wrote about citation levels: "This is an area in which much
research has been carried out, but most of it has been on specific subject
areas or titles, making it difficult to generalise". When it comes to
citations and OA, time will tell.

Fred Friend
JISC Scholarly Communication Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
E-mail ucylfjf_at_ucl.ac.uk