Re: costs of publishing

From: Matthew Cockerill <matt_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:42:32 +0100

Bear in mind that the fact that something is free to both authors and readers does not mean that it has no costs.

ArXiV, even though it is a preprint repository and does not provide managed peer review, nevertheless has costs.
Those costs are, I believe, supported by Cornell University.

The Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemisry http://bjoc.beilstein-journals.org/ (like many open access journals)
is free to both authors and readers, and takes care of peer review. It has significant costs, but those costs are covered by the Beilstein Institut.

Even a journal run on a shoestring by a group of academics, on a web server sitting under their desks, also has costs in terms of the time that the academics spend on the adminstrative and technical aspects of running the journal, as opposed to working on their day job.

Matt Cockerill

==
Matthew Cockerill Publisher
BioMed Central ( http://www.biomedcentral.com/ )