Re: What Can and Should Be Mandated

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 09:41:11 -0500

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

This is a lovely tool. Thank you Kimmo.

Does anyone on the list know of similar tools for their respective
countries. Or can anyone point me (us) to statistics that would provide
some of the results the Finish database offers? This would be extremely
useful.

The results are about what I would expect in Canada:

Social science, law and humanities: a very significant proportion of the
national publication goes into subsidized national journals. In the
Finnish case, it is roughly 50% of the total.

Natural science, engineering and medicine: broadly globalized and working
almost exclusively in English. This is the model Stevan tends to
generalize over the whole spectrum of scientific and scholarly
publishing.

And of course, a number of disciplines stand somewhere in-between.

The point here, in the case of Finland, is that it would seem worthwhile
exploring how the subsidizing agencies can bring these journals into OA,
through mandating or other, perhaps more gentle, means.

Best,

jc

Le dimanche 05 novembre 2006 à 06:06 -0500, Kimmo Kuusela a écrit :

 <harnad_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

>No need to compare Finnish journals to Dutch journals. Just
>Finnish research output in subsidised journals to total Finnish
>research output. (If there is a way to estimate relative
>quality, that would be helpful too, as would separate tallies
>by discipline.)

I have compared Finnish research output in *Finnish* subsidised journals
(that is, practically all Finnish journals) to total Finnish research output
in 2005.

The results:

16 % (2100) of the total number of articles (12839) in refereed journals
were published in Finnish journals.

By field of education:

Theology 56 %
The Humanities 49 %
Art and Design 64 %
Music 44 %
Theatre and Dance 43 %
Education 45 %
Sport Sciences 0 %
Social Sciences 47 %
Psychology 16 %
Health Sciences 31 %
Law 77 %
Economics 21 %
Natural sciences 6 %
Agriculture and Forestry 14 %
Engineering 8 %
Medicine 11 %
Dentistry 18 %
Veterinary Medicine 2 %
Pharmacy 13 %
Fine Arts 100 %
Field of education unspecified 15 %

Here's a handy tool for even more calculations:

http://kotaplus.csc.fi:7777/online/Etusivu.do?lng=en

-- Kimmo Kuusela

 --
Dr. Jean-Claude Guédon