Re: Lord Sainsbury on the RCUK OA Proposal: Drubbing Peter to Pox Paul

From: Tim Brody <tdb01r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:03:51 +0000

NB Sainsbury has been succeeded by Malcolm Wicks MP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Wicks

While I can glean no information on Wick's likely position on Open
Access, he has been a lecturer & researcher before his political career.
His voting is strongly government line, so if Sainsbury's review goes
against OA (assuming it addressed it) he would be likely toe the line.

For those who may not follow UK politics, Sainsbury has always been a
controversial figure. As the largest donor to the ruling Labour Party,
he received a peerage and from there into government as Science Minister
(interestingly peers - while unelected - can be made ministers, who are
ostensibly the 'executive'). While the owner of several bio-tech firms
his role in government has been at the heart of highly unpopular trials of
GM crops. Ironically GM is so unpopular with the British public that
Sainsburys - the supermarket chain from which Sainsbury has made his
billions - no longer sells GM-based products.

Sainsbury represents the commercial interest through the [alledged]
purchase of influence: it is unsurprising that he would support the
commercial interest in scholarly communication.
http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=1669222006

Cheers,
Tim.