Re: Solving the Article Accessibility Problem Moots the Journal Affordability Problem

From: Sally Morris (Chief Executive) <"Sally>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:41:55 -0000

Quite. IF librarians and their users see 100% self-archiving as solving the
journal affordability problem THEN journal subscriptions/licence sales will
fall, very possibly to unsustainable levels

Interesting that the High Energy Physics community seems to have noticed
this and is planning to subsidise the conversion of some or all journals in
their field to OA. However, OA publishing doesn't as far as I can see
reduce the costs significantly beyond the savings of all e-only journals -
it just moves them around.

Sally

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham