Research Metrics and Teaching Metrics

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:05:13 +0000

            [Posted with permission]

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Donat Agosti wrote:

> I understand the separation between textbooks and pubs. At the same
> time, the open courseware movement is stepping into this field, similar to
> OA for pubs. With such a rapid increase in knowledge, textbooks become
> obsolete much faster and thus need new editions, so they are also
> increasingly outdated as a model.

It is a good idea to look at a few analogies between textbook/courseware
writing and research writing and their respective motivational and reward
structures.

Research is conducted and funded to make contributions to knowledge and
applications to human benefit. It is rewarded via academic salary and research
funding, as well as by prizes and honours. These rewards depend on the importance,
uptake and impact of the findings. Citations (and soon downloads) are counted
as "metrics" of this impact. The users that generate the downloads and
citations are mostly researchers (scholars/scientists) and only secondarily
teachers. (Textbook citations of articles could be counted too, and should be,
but they are not yet counted.)

Teaching is conducted and funded to provide public education as well as to
produce a new generation of contributors to knowledge (scholarly and scientific
researchers and teachers). It is rewarded via academic salary, prizes and
honours *and* via textbook writing. These rewards also depend, in a sense, on
the "importance, uptake and impact" of the education provided, and its metrics
are student marks, student numbers, student ratings, completed degree counts,
etc. plus royalty revenues.

An obvious way to make the similarity greater would be to develop
online metrics of the uptake and influence of online courseware
(including textbooks). I am certain that once links and usage are
measured systematically, the academic world will begin to reward those
too, as indices of individual and institutional teaching impact and of
the return on public investment in education. Then, for textbooks and
other courseware, toll-barriers will be seen as obstacles to the usage
and impact the authors seek (and their employers and funders reward)
as they are already seen for research usage and impact, and then the OA
movement will extend to this wider domain too. (It will depend on how
these rewarded metrics stack up against textbook sales revenues.)

This has been discussed in the Forum:

    "Distance Learning and Copyright" (began Dec 2002)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#2524