Re: When is a Journal Open Access?

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:19:08 -0500

Since Open Access is so widely recognized as desirable, and
an open access journal is so widely recognized as a particularly good route
to open access, it is understandable that publishers and others will try to call
a journal an Open Access Journal, even if it means stretching the definition
a little--or more than a little. In increasing amount of stretch, this includes:

1/ journals which are Open Access in the original BOAI sense, except for reproduction or production of derivatives for commercial use. (one of the categories Peter identified)
2/ journals which are Open Access, except for the production of derivatives (another category Peter identified)
(these two cases, with a good number of possible modifications are addressed in the increasingly large number of Creative Commons definitions <http://creativecommons.org> for their originally uncomplicated model licenses)
3/ journals which have delayed open access, such as Learned Publishing
4/ journals which permit the author to post a copy of the article
5/ journals which permit an author to post a copy of the manuscript only
6/ journals which permit an author to post the manuscript or article, but only on a restricted number of sites, such as institutional repositories but not outside the institution
7/ journals which permit the author to post, but only after an embargo period.
8/ journals that permit the author to post, but post only the metadata

9/ Even the original BOAI definitions permit a journal some of whose content only is open access, as long as the primary research articles are. This still excludes
10/ hybrid open access journals, where only some of the research articles are open access.
11/ and journals who permit their authors to fill requests for electronic reprints

x/ What's more, some publishers whose journals meet only category 4 or lower have called themselves "Open Access Publishers"
y/ And some publishers where only some of the journals are open access in any sense, also call themselves Open Access Publishers.

!/ And some Open Access advocates are so eager to claim success, that they will accept any of these categories, or, as a second thought. describe at least category 11/ to be "almost open access".
!!/ Some open access manifestos have even said that publication in an Open Access journal still requires deposit in a repository with the preprints available.
!!!/ and some widely heralded mandatory Open Access schemes mandate Open Access, but only to the extent that it does not violate the publishers' licenses

*#*#/and there are schemes which call themselves mandated Open Access up front, but where there is a note hidden away that it is only strongly suggested.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library