Re: Open Letter to Philip Campbell, Editor, Nature

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 19:10:33 -0500

Peter,

How much infrastructure is necessary with the existing Open Source and
commercial systems for submitting journal articles? I have much less experience
than you, but in the little editing and writing and reviewing I have done, the
only truly time consuming part of peer review is the negotiation between the
editor and the author about just how much change is necessary, or the need to
repeat peer review on the adjusted manuscript. I do not see how anything the
publisher can do relieves the editor of this burden--indeed, it is what editors
are for, and why we do not simply automated the manuscript handling
systems.

How do assists shepherd peer review--I presume you mean they send reminders
about late reviews, but this is certain one of the functions that does not
require human intervention.

What mailing costs are there with online submission?

It is reasonable for a university to ask for reimbursement of office overhead when
the journal is either a for-profit journal, or a "non-profit" one that nonetheless earns
a good profit to be used for non-journal-related activities. If journals were truly
non-profit, and did not require services that became unnecessary years or decades ago,
universities would be more willing to subsidize the trivial remaining costs.
They already do for the very small journals, even if they do not yet provide the entire
cost of publication.

Publishers provide copy editing, and provide the interface with the commercial
service that hosts the journal. What else do they do besides limit access and
collect subscriptions?

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian