Re: Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled Subscriptions

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 03:51:14 +0000

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Sally Morris (Chief Executive) wrote:

> As I hoped, a publisher has come up with some real figures about
> the effect of going OA after a short embargo. See below from
> PNAS (forwarded with Diane's permission).

Dear Sally:

Let's keep our eye on the ball: The question is and has always been:
Is there any evidence that self-archiving (green) causes cancellations?

Answer is still: No.

The PNAS report below is about making the journal freely accessible
(gold). That makes all of its contents, publisher's version, at the
publisher's website, free for all (gold) (within a month).

I, for one, have never doubted that *that* could cause cancellations. But
anarchic author self-archiving -- of each author's postprints, in each
author's own IR, in uncertain proportions and at uncertain rates -- is
another story.

(But if/when mandated self-archiving should ever prove to cause cancellations
after all, publishing can and will adapt; research should certainly not renounce
its impact in order to insure journals' current modus operandi against all risk
from the new medium!)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm

> I wonder whether there are other publishers on this list who have
> statistics they could share?

Let's hope that if they do, their stats will be to the point (green), rather than
off-topic (gold)!

Chrs, Stevan