Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:48:10 +1100

Peter

You also seem to have forgotten that publishers haven't paid for the
research they make their off-the-top profits from. They get their inputs for
free, courtesy of the public's generosity, and in expectation of public
returns.

Let us be under no doubt that taxpayers have paid for most of the research
costs (leaving aside private enterprise) and they own it. What publishers do
is mainly value-add a certification process on the top of this vastly larger
investment. (Even this basic certification is not good enough in many
instances, such as clinical results, software correctness, genetics, etc.)

Of course, the copy-editing and dissemination processes are at present in
transition as we move from traditional patterns to the Internet era.

To use your homely analogy - taxpayers are not entitled to free bread if
they've paid the whole cost of growing the wheat, but they are entitled to
allocate the raw grain to themselves for home grinding, and to constrain the
price and availability of grain to millers and similarly for bread. And they
often do.

Arthur Sale

PS I have no problem dealing with advertising pit bulls. They know so little
about the industry that their snappy lines are likely to be easy to counter.
But those of us in the research industry ought to be co-operating.