Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 06:54:08 -0800

And where do you think the money that pays for peer-review,
copyediting, composition and all the other things publishers provide
comes from? The Easter Bunny?

As Peter well knows, a substantial fraction of the money spent on
journal subscriptions comes directly or indirectly from public funds.
It is the height of irony for an industry that has lived off the
public till for decades to now decry the involvement of government in
publishing. The problem with scientific publishing today is not that
publishers are cheating taxpayers of something they already own, it's
that the scientific community is complicit in this process. We not
only allow publishers to deny the public - and much of the scientific
community - full access to the results of research they funded, but
we pay them huge amounts of money to do so. The solution here is not
to demonize publishers, but rather for governments and other public
bodies to no longer allow their money to be used to support an
ineffective system that is no longer serving their interests. The
taxpayers can, instead, use their funds to further develop a new
system for disseminating the results of scientific research that
ensures universal open access. And, I'm sure Peter won't object since
he apparently believes that taxpayers don't currently contribute to
revenues of the publishing industry.

Michael Eisen, Ph.D.
UC Berkeley

Co-Founder