Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

From: Peter Banks <pbanks_at_BANKSPUB.COM>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:44:06 -0500

What you term "basic certification" is often not very basic. It involves
weeding out the 80% or so of manuscripts that are inadequate or
inappropriate, subjecting the remainder to often extensive revision, and
ensuring that the final papers use proper scientific nomenclature, standard
English, and statistical tests. It also involves supporting the people and
systems that support those processes. Anyone who has contracted with
ScholarOne or BenchPress or a home-grown manuscript management system can
tell you that the costs are not trivial. Neither are the costs of supporting
an editor and office in a major university.

Maybe all those things can be streamlined and made more efficient and
cost-effective. I certainly hope so, so that more taxpayer money stays where
it is belongs, in actual research. However, the Internet era has not
eliminated the need or the costs for filtering information and delivering it
in quality form. If anything, the explosion of information on the Web will
increase costs; dissemination is cheap, but filtering and delivering
information in quality, standardized form is not and is unlikely to become
so.

Yes, the public owns the research. If they want it in raw form, without any
of the services publishers perform, they can certainly have it, warts and
all. They can certainly insist that publishers provide editing services more
cost-effectively. But they cannot expect free universal and immediate access
to the versions of papers in which publishers have invested substantially,
and it is misleading to suggest that they should.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services
10332 Main Street #158