Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

From: Peter Banks <pbanks_at_BANKSPUB.COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:08:54 -0500

" Ask any researchers and they will tell you that lack of access to >
research findings severely limits research - it is painfully obvious."

If it so painfully obvious, please provide some evidence for it other than
your own opinion.

Actually I recently have visited the editorial offices of half a dozen top
researchers in one of the most important fields of clinical medicine. I
asked them if access to their journals was limiting research here or
internationally. These were all people somewhat sympathetic to OA goals, but
not one felt that clinical care or research was limited by access to the
journals.

However, if it is--and if there is data on this point I am open to it--then
Professor Harnad has an extremely simple solution: scientists should simply
deposit their postprints in institutional repositories. Many if most
journals allow this, and have done so for some time. The fact that the
percent of manuscripts that could be deposited is very small may indicate
that the vast majority of researchers simply do not agree with you.