Re: Stop fighting the inevitable - and free funds for open access!

From: Peter Banks <pbanks_at_BANKSPUB.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:43:56 -0500

"If the medical case is so
prominent then it is mainly due to the US taxpayers (not primarily
scientists) fighting for access to what they paid for. Following what is
happening at the US National Institute of Health, it seems that in this case
the taxpayer lobby is stronger than those of the medical publishers for
once."

The number of US taxpayers who have thought to themselves, "Gee, I sure wish
I could read the Journal of the National Cancer Institute," is vanishingly
small. That includes taxpayers with cancer.

Rather than true grassroots activism, what we have are cleverly named
organizations such as "Alliance for Taxpayer Access" (
http://www.taxpayeraccess.org/). This one is "administered" by SPARC. Though
it claims to represent patient organizations, very few are listed among its
membership.

The setting up of a front group is an accepted, if aggressive, tactic of PR.
It is practiced by....oh, that's right, Eric Dezenhall.

Cheers,

Peter Banks

On 1/31/07 3:23 AM, "Donat Agosti" <agosti_at_AMNH.ORG> wrote:

> If the medical case is so
> prominent then it is mainly due to the US taxpayers (not primarily
> scientists) fighting for access to what they paid for. Following what is
> happening at the US National Institute of Health, it seems that in this case
> the taxpayer lobby is stronger than those of the medical publishers for
> once.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services