Re: Stop fighting the inevitable - and free funds for open access!

From: David Prosser <david.prosser_at_BODLEY.OX.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:37:16 -0000

Peter

You wrote:

'On the publisher side, the government funding equals censorship also has a
grain of truth. We are living with the most secretive and manipulative
administration in U.S. History. It's a serious question to ask whether
government funding of publishing gives politicians undue control over
scientific communications. It's media messaging to suggest that such funding
automatically equals "censorship."'

Do you believe that there is anything in the proposed Federal Research
Public Access Act (in essence, that a copy of peer-reviewed papers resulting
from government-funded research be made available without charge online
within 6 months of publication) that would lead to politicians gaining undue
control of the publishing process?

(And I assume that you are not really suggesting that it was 'unethical' to
quote Dezenhall's comments reported in Nature without having read his book,
are you?)

Best wishes

David

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe

E-mail: david.prosser_at_bodley.ox.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1865 277 614
Mobile: +44 (0) 7974 673 888
http://www.sparceurope.org