Re: Failing business models

From: Jan Velterop <openaccess_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:44:16 +0000

Dear Imre,

First of all, my caveat for the definition of monopoly in the
Wikipedia was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I have to admit. I have no doubt
at all that the definition is correct, but since there currently is
a lively discussion about Wikipedia on the librarian list liblicense-
l, and I know that there is a fair amount of cross-readership between
this and that list, I threw in my facetious remark. (I'm actually a
fan of the Wikipedia and this is what I said about it on liblicense-
l, by the way: http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/
0702/msg00138.html).

As for the point you make, I used the word non-rivalrous for
subscriptions to scientific journals, because they don't compete --
they are not each other's rivals -- for readers. That is not always
the case for subscriptions, and newspapers, for instance, are often
regarded as rivalrous. But unlike newspapers, which can all report
the same story at the same time, a peculiarity of scientific
research, or maybe I should say scientific culture, is that articles
are formally published only once, in one journal. Journals are each
other's rivals, of course, when it comes to authors. This is why I
advocate open access publishing, 'gold', which regards the cost of
publishing as part and parcel of the cost of doing research, charges
a fee for the services that result in a formal publication, and, the
publisher having been reimbursed, then consigns that publication to
the noosphere, or the commons, as you call it. I'm in favour of that,
and I actually think most publishers are, too, if only they could
make the transition to a business model that supports open access.

That said about non-rivalry, self-archiving in an open repository, of
course, comes down to re-publishing an article, though not formally
(there usually is a reference to the formal publication, as the
formal one is what makes the self-archived article credible), and
thus making the versions rivalrous, i.e. competing for readers. On
the face of it, that then achieves what some want: competition and
open access. However, self-archiving is dependent on the subscription
system surviving. That's perhaps a good thing, but I doubt that it
will. When subscriptions decrease, e.g. due to cancellations by
libraries, the response typically has been to increase subscription
prices. That's how the vicious cycle known as the serials crisis came
about. For some journals price increases wouldn't strictly have been
necessary, as decreasing subscriptions would just mean lower margins.
For a lot of journals (I estimate it's the majority), lower
subscription numbers tips them over into the red, if they aren't
already there (many are cross-subsidised by journals that are doing
well).

Some people think that cancellations wouldn't happen as a result of a
rival copy of articles being freely available. They probably won't,
as long as the free versions are low in number. But the 'evidence'
that they won't happen at all is highly questionable. The (only)
example repeated all the time, ad nauseam, is that of Arxiv and the
physics journals, in spite of the fact that physics is quite
different from other disciplines (ask any physicist), in that the
discipline has a long, unique history of preprints, which makes
examples from physics less than ideal as 'evidence'. That doesn't
mean that the absence of more cancellations in physics isn't a
mystery of sorts. If one gives a hundred unsupervised toddlers a
packet of matches, and after a week none of the houses in which they
live has burnt down, that's a mystery, too, but I wouldn't accept
that as evidence that unsupervised toddlers and matches are a
combination from which we have nothing to fear.

Although most publishers allow it, open access through self-archiving
also remains problematic, in my view, because it is a kind of self-
plagiarism. Better to self-archive the formal, published version of
an article, which is entirely and unproblematically possible with
open access publishing.

Best regards,

Jan Velterop
PS. Thank you for the references you mention. Interesting that
"Understanding Knowledge as a Commons" is not available with open
access. I don't mind too much, it has to be said, but it is somewhat
ironic, no?