Re: Toronto Star article on EC OA Petition

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:17:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Michael Geist wrote:

> Thanks for the thoughts Stevan. I'm not sure the public/policy
> makers care about the distinction between Green and Gold -- in my
> view, the hook for them is about access to knowledge and maximizing
> public tax dollars (the themes I emphasized in the piece) - but I
> appreciate the additional perspective and information your email
> provides.

Dear Michael,

It is the public/policy makers that we are trying to persuade to mandate
OA self-archiving (Green). If they do not understand the distinction
between Green OA and Gold OA then they do not understand what it is
that we are trying to persuade them to mandate. That is ideal for the
publishing lobby, since they are (successfully) trying to persuade the
public/policy makers not to do anything at all, just keep "studying."

Hence, if OA is the goal, nothing is more important than the distinction
between Green and Gold, because Green can be mandated and can get us to
100% OA with certainty, now, whereas Gold cannot be mandated, and leaves
us a long way from OA for a long, long time.

If the hook for public/policy makers is about access to knowledge and
maximizing tax dollars (and I agree with you that that is the hook),
then the crook (i.e. the means) for providing that access and maximizing
those dollars is to mandate Green OA. If public/policy makers think
Green OA is Gold OA, or they don't understand (or care that) there is
a difference, then they don't understand how to provide that access and
maximize those dollars.

Best wishes,

Stevan