Re: Stevan Harnad's misconception 6

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:55:39 +0000

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Velterop, Jan, Springer UK wrote:

> Misconception: If an author 'pays' for the services of a publisher by
> handing over rights, that payment is in addition to subscription
> charges.
>
> Stevan Harnad must not have understood what I said, and it's entirely
> possible that I wasn't clear enough. Mea culpa.

I understood perfectly well.

> No, Stevan, you can't just add these. Let me try to explain it again.
> The author 'pays' by transferring rights, these rights only represent
> 'potential' money. This 'potential' money has to be converted into
> 'actual' money for the publisher to be able to pay his bills. That's
> what subscriptions do, the convert rights into money.
>
> Why exclusive rights? 'Exclusive' here means that the same article may
> not be published in more than one journal. Virtually everybody in the
> scientific establishment agrees with that principle. Not absolutely
> everybody. Some articles appear in more than one journal. When this
> happens, it is frowned upon, even regarded as scientific fraud.

Who is talking about publishing articles in more than one journal. We are talking
about the right to self-archive the article.

If that wasn't clear enough, mea culpa.

> As for royalties to the author, of course they are given, if the
> publisher really wants to publish the work because in his judgement he
> can sell it well. For instance textbooks, or good review-articles. For
> research articles this doesn't apply, because it's not up to the
> publisher to decide which article to publish and which not. Just as
> well. Editors and editorial boards - scientists - decide, on the basis
> of scientific merit, not financial potential. This is as true for
> subscription-based journals as it is for OA journals and hybrid ones.

And because referees referee (for free) and editors decide, it follows
that the author should not self-archive his article? or that the
author's funder or employer should not mandate that the fundee/employee
self-archive his article?

The logic of "excluding" the right to self-archive, or to mandate self-archiving,
continues to escape me. (Could it be because I keep thinking of access and impact,
and you keep thinking of funding and revenues? But then why do you portray yourself
as being for OA?)

Stevan Harnad