Re: Stevan Harnad's misconception 7

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:32:06 +0000

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Velterop, Jan, Springer UK wrote:

> Misconception: The notion that OA publishing takes away from scarce
> research funds.
>
> I'm tempted to start believing in one of the religions of the physics
> domain, parallel universes. Stevan seems to live in the universe where
> OA publishing - 'gold' - costs money and subscriptions don't.

Jan, you are systematically avoiding a simple piece of arithmetic:

Of course publishing costs money. But it is *subscription money* that
is paying for publishing today: i.e., non-OA publishing.

So until and unless subscription money is *no longer* paying for
non-OA publishing (as it is now), and can be redirected to paying for OA
publishing (Gold OA), *there is no payment issue* in connection with OA
self-archiving mandates (Green OA):

The publications that are being self-archived today have been *paid for*.
This remains true until and unless OA self-archiving ever actually does cause
cancellations and makes subscriptions unsustainable. Till then, it's Green OA and
nothing more to pay.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm

    Berners-Lee, T., De Roure, D., Harnad, S. and Shadbolt, N. (2005)
    Journal publishing and author self-archiving: Peaceful Co-Existence
    and Fruitful Collaboration.
    http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11160/

Hence if research funds are redirected today toward paying for Gold OA publishing,
they are depriving researchers of scarce research funds *for no reason at all*,
because they can have 100% OA simply by self-archiving.

(This is all without even saying anything about the Gold OA's asking
price and about downsizing to the essentials: Both what the publishers
do today, and the asking price for it, are inflated by the fact that
publishers still have to generate, provide, distribute, provide-access
to, and archive the paper and PDF editions. Once all that is gone, and
both access-provision and archiving can be offloaded onto the worldwide
network of OA Institutional Repositories, publishing can and will downsize
to peer review service-provision alone, at a much-reduced asking price.)

Stevan Harnad