(wrong string) édon's Mix-up

From: Jan Velterop <openaccess_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:58:43 +0000

I think you are mistaken, Jean-Claude. There are virtually no
barriers to entry and the availability of open source journal
management software has lowered any residual barriers even further.
Nothing "disingenuous" there. You are mixing up the barriers to entry
and those to successful brand image building. The latter do exist, as
it takes a lot of effort and money to build good brand images. It can
be done, and in a very short period of time, too, if PLoS serves as
an example, but it does cost.

Apparently, such brand identity is highly valued by researchers. Even
more so if after a number of years, ISI volente, newly branded
journals are endowed with an impact factor, which usually accelerates
the development of their brand identity.

One of the difficulties with self-archiving is not so much that the
content of published articles is available in repositories, but that
these articles carry with them the precious brand identity of the
journal, in which is invested considerably. And again, from author
behaviour one can conclude that, on the whole, such brand identities
are highly valued and researchers are very sensitized to the relative
place of the brands in the research journal pyramid, since if they
can publish in those journals, that places themselves in the pyramid.
Should self-archiving succeed on a large scale, for instance helped
by mandates, what is sure to happen is that investment in brand image
will tail off. Cancellations will occur from the bottom up.
(Subscriptions to physics journals hold up, so far, because what
we're talking about is top journals, with a high brand value). The
research journal pyramid will flatten considerably. Or worse, a chasm
may open up between a (flattened) pyramid of journals that are taken
seriously, and a growing echelon of journals that are not. And with
the journals, researchers will face such a class chasm. This may be
the intended consequence but I doubt that that is good for science,
with its finely tuned stratification, which presumably evolved for a
reason.

Jan Velterop