Re: Research Reports as Advertisements: An Allegory

From: Jan Velterop <openaccess_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 11:26:12 +0000

Arthur,

Perhaps we mean the same. If researchers were truly concerned about
sharing their knowledge with other researchers, or the whole world,
for that matter, why aren't they publishing their articles on the
open web, or at least self-archiving 'en masse'? My observation
(interpret that as a 'fact' if you wish) is that they don't and that
they appear to value the benefits to them of the formal publishing
system more. Which makes sense from their point of view and is
perfectly rational. But it doesn't bring open access. The discussion
is really only about the *way* to achieve open access. Needless to
say, I differ with others on that point.

Jan Velterop