Re: Why Cornell's Institutional Repository Is Near-Empty

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:29:10 -0400

Stevan, who at Cornell do you propose should issue the mandate, and how do you propose to persuade them
to do it? The university administration there is not unaware of the existence of self-archiving, and neither is
the faculty.

You give, as always, perfectly good reasons for the faculty to be convinced of the necessity, but repeating
them any number of times is not going to convince any who have not been convinced already.
The same is true of the administration. Probably they are not yet convinced--in common with the
administration of all 200 or so US universities. There is obviously some step in the argument that seems
obviously reasonable to us, but which not one single administration out of them all agrees with.

Alternatively, they may think that they cannot persuade the faculty or successfully require it. There is a
balance in research universities between what the administration would like to demand and what the faculty
is willing to accept, and the better the university, the stronger the position of the faculty (as the best will be
easily able to go elsewhere).

Obviously the administrations--all 200 of them, acting independently-- do not think the result worth the
difficulty. It is unlikely to be ignorance. It is unlikely to be stupidity to the extent necessary--administrators
are usually good judges of what they can succeed in doing. Obviously academic faculty and administrators do
not accept one of the premises. Instead of repeating why they should, it might help to figure out what the
critical one is.

(I do not pretend to know, though I have my guesses). This is a serious request for you to do what you
rightly say the purpose of the list is, find the appropriate argument that will work for getting OA. But the
results make manifest that the arguments now being used do not work. A result of zero out of 200 after 5
years is not a record of success.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian