Re: Size of repositories

From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro_at_CINDOC.CSIC.ES>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:41:14 +0100

Leslie Carr escribió:
> On 20 Mar 2007, at 14:42, Isidro F. Aguillo wrote:
>
>> The thresholds are as follows:
>>
>> PDF DOC PPT PS SCHOLAR
>>
>> PREMIER LEAGUE 19000 4000 2000 1000 3300
>>
>> WORLD CLASS 7000 2000 1000 300 1200
>>
>> REGIONAL CLASS 3000 500 300 50 400
>>
>> These figures could be used as a reference in repository planning.
>
> What are the justifications for your thresholds? Are you saying that
> a University with an existing Premier League Ranking should have 19K
> PDFs in its repository? Or are you saying that if you create a league
> table that is defined by repository size, then the top 200 should all
> have 19K PDFs in their repositories?
Dear all:

The figures should be read AT LEAST for reaching a certain position in
the Webometrics Ranking and they are including all the files in the
university web domain, that means self-repositories in personal pages,
institutional centralized repositories, documents available from public
access electronic journals, conference and workshops documents and
slides and academic and non academic reports. There are two main sources
of error: documents duplicated in two different places under the same
domain and files not directly related to scholarly communication.
> Either way I don't know where your figures come from. There are only
> 16 institutional- or pseudo-institutional repositories in the world
> with more than 19K records - and that's not filtering out the
> bibliographic records with no full texts.
Webometrics Ranking (www.webometrics.info) intends to encourage web
publication as proposed by the Open Access initiatives and to show the
commitment of the academic institutions to Web publication. /If the web
performance of an institution is below the expected position according
to their academic excellence, university authorities should reconsider
their web policy, promoting substantial increases in the volume and
quality of their electronic publications/.

--
Isidro F. Aguillo