Re: Size of repositories

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:44:59 +1100

My problem is that there are many more variables that make this sort of
analysis cry out for better research. For example:

Big numbers (derived any way) often turn out to be related to a great deal
of records that are not backed up by the full-text of an article.

Big numbers are also closely related to the energy with which archival
material is posted. One university in Australia decided to mount a campaign
to centrally post all its government reported research for the last six
years, but of course since the e-text was not available, most of it is in
unhelpful and unsearchable scanned page images in a pdf file. I discount
this very considerably compared to a digitally-born file.

The real measure of top class is the *current acquisition rate*. For
example, how much of the university's research output for 2006 has made it
into the online world by now (March, 2007). Or take 2005 if you quibble
about delays.

Size is actually not important. I'd rather have one 100% university (of
current research) than ten 10% universities of hit-or-miss stuff. Even if
the first was small and the ten large.

The list takes no account of university size, and we all know that some
small universities beat some large ones in excellence. In my own case, the
University of Tasmania does not publish 19000 or even 3000 articles a year.
Hardly any of the online documents are .ps, and .doc and .ppt generally only
exist alongside the others as non-portable (and deprecated)
Microsoft-specific alternatives. I am afraid that this table simply does not
make sense.

Arthur Sale
University of Tasmania