Re: Peer Review

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:21:06 +0100

Having served for 18 years as a member of staff of the RSC earlier in my
career, finishing up as Publications Prodiution Manager, I can confirm that
what Dana Roth says about their mode of operation is true. Similar styles
of operation apply at certain other large learned society publishers who
publish themselves, rather than through a commercial publisher. However,
it must be said that this way of running journals is the exception rather
than the rule. It also has to be said that established publishers, whether
for-profit or not-for-profit, tend to think that the way things have
tradtitonally been done is the way they should be done, and that change
should be very gradual. They may not be well placed to compete with
organisations that come new to the scholarly communication business and who
have no such preconceptions.

Fytton Rowland, Senior Lecturer,
Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University, UK.