Re: Journal embargo periods

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:45:24 +0100

It is precisely in order to moot this endless and pointless preoccupation
with individual journals' permissions and embargo policies that I
urge everyone to forget about permissions and embargos and adopt the
Immediate Deposit (ID/OA) mandate and practise.

That means always depositing the author's final peer-reviewed draft in
the author's own Institutional Repository, immediately upon acceptance
for publication. Journal publisher policy is completely *irrelevant*
to the timing of that deposit. If publisher policy has any bearing on
anything at all, it is only on the date that the access to that deposit
is set as Open Access rather than Closed Access.

So let all concern with and discussion of publisher embargoes be
transfered, please, to the date of OA-setting, not the date of deposit
itself, which should be immediate. And meanwhile, while continuing to
debate OA embargo lengths, please, authors, deposit immediately, and
funders and institutions, please, mandate immediate deposit.

    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

An embargo and its length are of the most minor importance. Please
don't allow misplaced focus on embargos to delay or displace what is
really urgent, and immediately reachable, which is to ensure that all
articles are immediately deposited in each author's own IR. The rest,
I promise, will all take care of itself (propelled by the palpable
global benefits of OA and, where necessary, by the interim mediation of
each IR's Fair Use Button ["REQUEST EMAIL EPRINT"], which will provide
almost-OA semi-automatically and almost immediately for all would-be
users during any embargo interval).

    http://www.eprints.org/news/features/request_button.php

So keep working to minimise or eliminate embargos, to be sure, but first
make sure immediate deposit is mandated, and done!

Historians will confirm that the only thing that has been standing between
us and 100% OA for years now is KEYSTROKES (not permissions, embargos,
copyright, pricing, or journal economic models). Mandate the keystrokes
and 100% OA will follow soon after. Keep fussing instead about embargos,
without first ensuring that the immediate-deposit keystrokes get done
by everyone, and 100% OA will continue eluding us for years to come.

Amen.

Stevan Harnad