Re: Librarians and OA advocacy

From: bq <bquint_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:21:34 -0700

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

if you want some well documented evidence of librarians' interest in oa, you might look at the latest issue of library journal. an article entitled "serial wars" gets into it http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6431958.html. Though library journal is published by a division of reed-elsevier, this article called the shots. to quote:

Open access is no longer a subtext in the annals of the journals industry. It stands alone as an alternative to the existing system of journal publication, which most say is unsustainable in its current form. It can mean different things to different proponentsâ^À^Ôa shared path to many ends. Libraries want relief from journal prices that are patently outrageous and defy cost-benefit justification. Authors want impact, and OA articles get cited much more often. Scientists want faster and easier access to othersâ^À^Ù research, but a recent paper, â^À^ÜUK Scholarly Journals: 2006 Baseline Report,â^À^Ý found that half of all researchers in Britain have problems securing access to needed articles. Universities want a better return on their investment in intellectual capital, authors, peer reviewers, and editors. Taxpayers want to be able to read the research they sponsor.

bq