Re: Germany's Bundesrat against OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 16:20:27 +0100

On Sun, 13 May 2007, Armbruster, Chris wrote:

> ...the publishers' lobbyists on this occasion were successful
> - they had their position written into the Bundesrat opinion,
> almost to the letter.
>
> This Bundesrat opinion is bad news for OA...
> How come that toll access publishers had it all their way?
> ...how good are OA activists in addressing the concerns of
> policy makers and parliaments?
>
> There principally are two routes to OA -
> a) via the self-regulation of universities, libraries,
> science organisations and learned societies, or
> b) via political regulation. decision-makers... providing
> 'conclusive evidence' that allows them to decide for you (and
> against the other side).
> Is the OA movement ready for this kind of adversarial politics?

Probably not, and probably no need. The research community (researchers,
their universities and their funders) can do it all amongst themselves
already. There is a simple way, if we can only get the research community
to listen, and understand, and act: The Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access
Mandate removes the publishers and the publishing lobby from the decision
loop *completely*. Government intervention is not needed either.

    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

All I can do is keep repeating this message, amidst all the hubbub and
indirection, hoping that it will be understood that all else becomes
moot if the research community itself (universities and funders) just
mandate ID/OA: Absolutely nothing else matters. Nothing can stop the
worldwide research community from doing it. And it will work. And it
will bring 100% OA very soon. Everything else just means years more of
the confusion and delay we have now. To reach for less, or for more,
is to get next to nothing. ID/OA is completely within our reach; all
we need do is grasp it, now.

Stevan Harnad