Craig et al.'s review of the OA citation advantage

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:57:16 +0100

    Craig, Ian; Andrew Plume, Marie McVeigh, James Pringle & Mayur
    Amin (2007) Do Open Access Articles Have Greater Citation Impact?
    A critical review of the literature. Journal of Informetrics.
    http://www.publishingresearch.net/Citations-SummaryPaper3_000.pdf.pdf

I've read Craig et al.'s critical review ("proposed by the Publishing
Research Consortium") concerning the OA citation Impact effect and
will shortly write a short, mild review. But first here is a commentary
from Bruce Royan, followed by Sally Morris's posting, followed by a few
remarks from me. -- Stevan Harnad

It is notoriously tricky (at least since David Hume) to "prove" causality
empirically. The thrust of the Craig et al. critique is that despite the
fact that virtually all studies comparing the citation counts for OA and
non-OA articles keep finding the OA citation counts to be higher, it has
not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the relationship is causal.

I agree: It is merely highly probable, not proven beyond a reasonable
doubt, that articles are more cited because they are OA, rather than
OA merely because they are more cited (or both OA and more cited merely
because of a third factor).

And I also agree that not one of the studies done so far is without some
methodological flaw that could be corrected.

But it is also highly probable that the results of the methodologically
flawless versions of all those studies will be much the same as the
results of the current studies. That's what happens when you have a
robust major effect, detected by virtually every study, and only ad hoc
methodological cavils and special pleading to rebut each of them with.

But I am sure those methodological flaws will not be corrected by these
authors, because -- OJ Simpson's "Dream Team" of Defense Attorneys comes
to mind -- Craig et al's only interest is evidently in finding flaws and
alternative explanations, not in finding out the truth -- if it goes
against their client's interests...

  Iain D.Craig: Wiley-Blackwell
  Andrew M.Plume, Mayur Amin: Elsevier
  Marie E.McVeigh, James Pringle: Thomson Scientific

Here is a preview of my rebuttal. It is mostly just common sense,
if one has no conflict of interest, hence no reason for special
pleading and strained interpretations:

(1) Research quality is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for
citation impact: The research must also be accessible to be cited.

(2) Research accessibility is a necessary but not a sufficient condition
for citation impact: The research must also be of sufficient quality to
be cited.

(3) The OA impact effect is the finding that an article's citation counts
are positively correlated with the probability that that article has
been made OA: The more an article's citations, the more likely that that
article has been made OA.

(4) This correlation has at least three causal interpretations:

    (4a) OA articles are more likely to be cited.

    (4b) More-cited articles are more likely to be made OA.

    (4c) A third factor makes it more likely that some articles will be
    both made OA and more cited.

(5) Each of these causal interpretations is correct, and hence a
contributor to the OA impact effect:

    (5a) The better the article, the more likely it is to be cited,
    hence the more citations it gains if it is made more accessible
    (3a). (OA Article Quality Advantage, QA)

    (5b) The better the article, the more likely it is to be made OA
    (3b). (OA Article Quality Bias, QB)

    (5c) 10% of articles (and authors) receive 90% of citations. The
    authors of the better articles know they are better, and hence are
    more likely both to be cited and to make their articles OA, so as
    to maximize their visibility, accessibility and citations (3c). (OA
    Author QB and QA)

(6) In addition to QB and QA, there is an OA Early Access effect (EA):
providing access earlier increases citations.

(7) The OA citation studies have not yet isolated and estimated the
relative sizes of each of these (and other) contributing components
(OA also increases downloads, and downloads are correlated with later
citations).

(8) But the handwriting is on the wall as to the benefits of making
articles OA, for those with eyes to see, and no conflicting interests
to blind them.

I do agree completely, however, with erstwhile Princetonian Bob May's call
for "an evidence-based approach to the scholarly communications debate."

Stevan Harnad
http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/