Re: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:39:56 +0100

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Bebbington Laurence wrote:

> As far as UK law is concerned I think this statement is only
> partly true. For example, under UK law only the copyright owner
> can authorise reproduction/copying if the copying is for
> commercial purposes.

The Fair Use Button is for an individual researcher's individual
research papers, as the form-request should clearly state.

> - under UK law copying by anyone other than the copyright owner
> under the 1988 Act must generally be for research or private
> study, for non-commercial purposes.

As above.

> - where distribution of "reprints" is by some digital format
> then only the owner of copyright in the reprint (who may not be
> the author) can authorise the copying and distribution IF it is
> for commercial purposes.

As above.

> This would, I think, prevent an author
> who has assigned copyright from making or authorising the copying
> and sending of an item to someone IF the intended use is for
> commercial purposes (e.g. an author, who is not the copyright
> owner, could not send the published version to someone working in
> a pharmaceutical company's research laboratory). However, arcane
> this may seem, it is (in my view) the legal position.

It is indeed arcane and seems to have nothing to do with the topic at
hand (and the rationale for Open Access), which is individual research
use for research purposes.

> Charles, I believe, is referring to section 29(3) of the
> Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988. That section permits one
> person to copy something on behalf on someone else in certain
> circumstances - and as long as it is for research or private
> study for non-commercial purposes.

The only Fair Use Button directs the request to the author, who is the
only one who can authorize the sending.

It is my impression that rights expertise is so focussed on the formal
that it has lost sight of the functional: OA has nothing to do with
commercial rights, either formally or functionally. It is about researcher
use of research for research. That's the whole point. And that's why
peer-reviewed research publication never belonged under the trade
publication banner, with its many unwanted (for the researcher-author)
"protections." In the Gutenberg era, the protections were reluctantly
accepted by the researcher-author, who sought only impact, and never
income, because the income was nonetheless needed by the paper publisher
in order to cover true paper production and distribution costs.
Otherwise there could be no publication (hence no impact) at all.

But in the PostGutenberg era the web makes it possible for the
the researcher-author to supplement paper distribution with online
distribution (self-archiving). (It also makes it possible to reduce all
publication costs to just the costs of managing peer review, but that
is not the issue here.) The Fair Use Button is for the authors of those
articles that are publishing in that 38% of journals that still attempt
to resist this obvious benefit for research and researchers made possible
by the online medium. Instead of making the self-archived text
immediately free for all upon acceptance for publication lie the authors
in the 62% of journals that are Green, the remaining authors can use the
Free Use Button until online access embargoes die their inevitable
natural death. The Button makes it possible for research to improve all
of our lives without having to wait.

    Harnad, Stevan (2001/2003) For Whom the Gate Tolls?
    http://cogprints.org/1639/01/resolution.htm
    Published as:
    Harnad, Stevan (2003) Open Access to Peer-Reviewed
    Research Through Author/Institution Self-Archiving:
    Maximizing Research Impact by Maximizing Online Access.
    In: Law, Derek & Judith Andrews, Eds. Digital Libraries:
    Policy Planning and Practice. Ashgate Publishing 2003.
    Shorter version:
    Harnad S. (2003) Journal of Postgraduate Medicine 49: 337-342.
    French version:
    Harnad, S. (2003) Ciélographie et ciélolexie:
    Anomalie post-gutenbergienne et comment la résoudre.
    In: Origgi, G. & Arikha, N. (eds) Le texte à l'heure
    de l'Internet. Bibliotheque Centre Pompidou. Pp. 77-103.

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Rick Anderson wrote:

> > SH:
> > You may consult with copyright lawyers if you wish. Fair use is
> > not a right that a copyright transfer agreement can take away
> > from anyone, especially the author!
>
> Not to pick on you, Stevan, but this is a point that should be
> clarified: like many legal rights, fair use rights most certainly
> can be waived as a matter of contractual agreement. If you sign
> a contract that says you will not redistribute even single copies
> of the work in question, then you'll be legally bound to abide by
> it. (It would be silly to agree to such a term, but that doesn't
> make it legally unconscionable.)
>
> Rick Anderson
> Dir. of Resource Acquisition
> Univ. of Nevada, Reno Libraries

I expect that one can waive one's right to breath air too, if one is
silly enough to agree to do so, but that, too, is not the point under
discussion here...