Re: "Academics strike back at spurious rankings" (Nature,31 May)

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:29:27 +0100

    The message below is from Isidro Aguillo, the Scientific
    Director of the Laboratory of Quantitative Studies of the
    Internet
    http://internetlab.cindoc.csic.es/miembros.asp?id=1
    of the Centre for Scientific Information and Documentation
    http://www.cindoc.csic.es/eng/info/infobjetivos.html
    Spanish National Research Council
    http://www.csic.es/index.do and editor
    of Cybermetrics, the International Journal of Scientometrics,
    Informetrics and Bibliometrics
    http://www.cindoc.csic.es/cybermetrics/

    Dr. Aguillo makes the very valid point (in response to Declan Butler's
    Nature news article about the use of unvalidated university rankings)
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v447/n7144/full/447514b.html
    that web metrics provide new and potentially useful information
    not available elsewhere. This is certainly true, and web metrics
    should certainly be among the metrics that are included in the multiple
    regression equation that should be tested and validated in order
    to weight each of the candidate component metrics and to develop norms
    and benchmarks for reliable widespread use in ranking and evaluation.

    Among other potential useful sources of candidate metrics are:
    University Metrics:
    http://www.universitymetrics.com/tiki-index.php
    Harzing's Google-Scholar-based metrics:
    http://www.harzing.com/pop.htm