Re: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:58:37 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Joseph J. Esposito wrote:

>> SH:
>> "Since no nonfictional journal article author has signed a
>> contract of the sort you describe , , ,"
>
> JJS:
> This is nonsense. There are hundreds of thousands of contracts,
> probably millions of contracts. Of the several hundred I have
> seen, everyone of them says exactly what Sandy Thatcher says they
> do.

Please go back and read (carefully, this time) what was being
asserted. Many authors transfer rights, in standard contracts, but we
were talking about whether or not the contract *in addition* explicitly
surrenders the fair-use rights that every other person on the planet
(except the author) would then retain.

That is the nonsense. And I too would welcome a little focus not only on
what is true but also on what is being said (and why -- and perhaps also
a bit of common sense in this orgy of amateur legalism and formalism...).

Stevan Harnad

PS Don't necessarily expect either validity or common sense in some of
the solemn professional pronouncements this is likely to elicit from
some copyright lawyers. This is brand-new territory and they are as
lost as everyone else if they do not grasp (1) the technical realities
of the online medium (i.e., what comes with the territory, what is and
is not enforceable) in the very special and very specific context of (2)
the author give-away literature, written exculsively for impact, not for
income (i.e., not for sales-royalties or fees, but for maximal uptake
and usage) -- of which peer-reviewed research journal articles are the
paradigmatic case. Even professional opinions can be safely ignored if
they are based mechanically on the paper medium and sales-royalty-seeking
writings that are copyright law's mainstay but *utterly* irrelevant to
the peer-reviewed research literature that is OA's specific target.