Re: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:31:10 +0100

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 Sandy Thatcher wrote:

> If there are any lawyers lurking on this list, I would appreciate
> an opinion. Does a contract that transfers "all rights" (using
> that language), which is what most journal contracts I have seen
> actually say, leave any rights to the author that are not
> specified explicitly in the agreement?

That's the right question. And in particular, does such a contract
(absurdly) deny the author alone fair-use rights that are retained by
every other person on the planet? (That's the hub of the question: The
answer will be of course be No, it does not, unless that renunciation
is added as an explicit -- and absurd -- extra contractual condition,
which it never is. And if some lurking lawyer should opine otherwise,
ask him if he thinks such an implicit, inherent absurdity is enforceable,
and if not, why we are talking about it...)

> Unless I have sadly
> misconstrued contract law for the past forty years, I do not
> think so. Stevan seems to think that turning over all rights
> means something less than that language would ordinarily imply,
> and that it is up to every author who signs a contract to
> interpret what rights remain to him or her under "fair use."
> Since anyone who knows fair use jurisprudence well understands,
> that provides very wide latitude for interpretation, which would
> mean that contract law would end up having a gaping hole in it if
> such a "fair use" privilege were somehow to survive the signing
> of a contract.
>
> And, by the way, such "all rights" transfers are not confined to
> journal articles. They are the typical transfers used by academic
> publishers with book authors who are not represented by literary
> agents (as few are).

The fundamental difference between journal-article copyright contracts
and book copyright contracts is not so much what the author can or can't
do, but what the author would ever *want* to do. Most book authors go
to publishers rather than to give-away vanity presses because they want
their books to be marketed and to *sell* (and they want a cut of the
sales revenues). Peer-reviewed journal article authors do not, and never
have. They only want their articles to be read, used, applied and cited
in further research by as many users as possible; they never seek or
see a penny of royalty income.

So if there is a fair-use loophole for individual author give-aways
in both cases -- income-seeking books and impact-seeking articles --
what has prevented it from surfacing since the online era is the simple
fact that most book authors are simply *not interested* in giving away
their books online (apart from a few promotional review copies) whereas
*all* peer-reviewed journal article authors are.

    Harnad, Stevan (2001/2003) For Whom the Gate Tolls?
    http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/8705/01/resolution.htm Published
    as: Harnad, Stevan (2003) Open Access to Peer-Reviewed
    Research Through Author/Institution Self-Archiving:
    Maximizing Research Impact by Maximizing Online Access.
    In: Law, Derek & Judith Andrews, Eds. Digital Libraries:
    Policy Planning and Practice. Ashgate Publishing 2003.
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/digital-libraries.htm
    [Shorter version: Harnad S. (2003)
    Journal of Postgraduate Medicine 49: 337-342.
    [French version: Harnad, S. (2003) Ciélographie et ciélolexie:
    Anomalie post-gutenbergienne et comment la résoudre.
    In: Origgi, G. & Arikha, N. (eds) Le texte à l'heure
    de l'Internet. Bibliotheque Centre Pompidou. Pp. 77-103.
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/cielographie.pdf
    http://www.text-e.org/conf/index.cfm?ConfText_ID=7
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/texte2.pdf]

Chrs,