Access to knowledge: Invitation to contribute to the public consultation on the Green Paper on the European Research Area

From: N. Miradon <nmiradon_at_YAHOO.FR>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:15:15 -0400

In her paper to the International Coalition of Library Consortia last year,
(http://www.aepic.it/conf/viewpaper.php?id=187&cf=7 format=Powerpoint) Dr
Celina Ramjoué of the European Commission floated the idea of a <<"Special
clause" requiring deposit of research results in Framework Programme 7 grant
agreements>>.

This seems like a good idea. So when Dr Ramjoué sends an <<invitation>> to
fill in a questionnaire, Open Access enthusiasts should do their best to
respond. Unfortunately, the Commission's questionnaire
http://ec.europa.eu/research/era/questionnaire_en.html is not very user
friendly.

Here then (below the dotted line) is an alternative; a pre-prepared email
for you to edit and send to the email addresses cited by Dr Ramjoué. The
wording is taken from page 22 of the Commission's questionnaire.

N.Miradon
To rtd-era_at_ec.europa.eu
cc rtd-scientific-publication_at_ec.europa.eu

Subject: Public Consultation on the Green Paper on the European Research Area

Dear Madam, Sir,

Here are my replies to your questionnaire (ref
http://ec.europa.eu/research/era/questionnaire_en.html ), part KSH2 "How
should data and publications resulting from publicly funded research be
shared?"

KSH2.(a)
Raw data resulting from publicly funded research should be made more readily
accessible
    (EITHER)
    I agree. Here are my ideas on how this should be done ...
    (OR)
    I do not agree, for the following reasons ...

KSH2.(b)
Peer-reviewed scientific publications resulting from publicly funded
research should be accessible without charge.
    (EITHER)
    I agree and suggest that this should be
        (DELETE ALL BUT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ALTERNATIVES)
        As soon as they are published
        After 6 months from publication (to allow the publishers to recover
           return on investment)
        After 12 months from publication (same reasons as above)
        Other (specify)

    (OR)
    I do not agree, for the following reasons ...
    (AND KSH2.c, d, e, f ARE REDUNDANT)

KSH2.(c)
National and regional publicly funded research data should be made available in:
        Local / National databases AGREE/DISAGREE
        European level databases AGREE/DISAGREE
        Other (specify)

KSH2.(d)
National and regional publicly funded scientific publications should be made
available in:
        Local / National databases / repositories AGREE/DISAGREE
        European level databases / repositories AGREE/DISAGREE

KSH2.(e) EU funded (Framework Programme, European Institute of Technology
etc) research data should be made available in:
        Local / National databases AGREE/DISAGREE
        European level databases AGREE/DISAGREE

KSH2.(f) EU funded (FP, EIT etc) scientific publications should be made
available in:
        Local / National databases / repositories AGREE/DISAGREE
        European level databases / repositories AGREE/DISAGREE

I agree that my responses can be included in anonymised overviews.
(KEEP & COMPLETE ONE OF THE TWO FOLLOWING SENTENCES, DELETE THE OTHER)
I also agree to the publication of my personal data such as my name (), my
age (), my nationality ().
I do not agree to the publication of my personal data such as name, age,
nationality.

Signed: