Re: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

From: Sally Morris (Morris Associates) <"Sally>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:51:32 +0100

I have no problem at all with what the button is for - just with the
inaccurate use of 'Fair Use' to describe it. As many postings to this list
have made clear, FU (and FD in the UK) is not a 'right', but a defence
against a claim of infringement (always subject to the Berne 3-step test, if
we're going to get technical). It is a defence for users, not authors.

I feel it's hard enough to grasp what FU/FD actually are without
misrepresenting it in this way - people are going to get even more confused!

Sally

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)
South House, The Street
Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Tel: +44(0)1903 871286
Fax: +44(0)8701 202806
Email: sally_at_morris-assocs.demon.co.uk