Re: Australian Opposition metrics

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:27:00 +1000

It is necessary to realize that my posting related to some policies/speeches
that the Labor Opposition have released months before the election is
called. They are therefore imprecise to avoid giving the Government a
target.

Reading between the lines, I would suspect that there are two aims:
(a) to avoid completely any panel based assessment and its costs, since we
haven't ever done one before. It follows that the metrics could be validated
on the RAE, or they could be rather simple. A parallel peer/metric exercise
would not fit the bill of saving money and effort.
(b) to eliminate the concept of Impact (socio-economic consequences) from
the assessment and to concentrate on Quality (assessed research outcomes).
In the RQF both will be funded based on different criteria.

The Opposition statement should be read in conjunction with the Australian
Productivity Commission Report, which probably gave it credibility.

Arthur Sale