Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 03:08:07 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

> If there is anything fundamental to "fair use," both in legal and even
> common sense terms, it is that a request for permission is NOT part of the
> process. But the "Fair-Use Button" is explicitly set up as a process for
> requesting permission from a potential user to the author.

No, Sandy, it is not set up as a process for requesting permission. It is
set
up as a process for requesting a copy (from the author). And both the author
providing that copy and the requester using it are Fair Use.

> How this is "transparent" and "not tortured" is beyond me. It perverts the
> whole concept of fair use.

It provides access to papers that have been deposited as Closed Access,
because of
a publisher embargo, instead of being deposited immediately as Open Access.

Why you are finding this so difficult to understand is anything but
transparent to
me!

> Stevan, your stubborn adherence to this terminology IS potentially
> confusing, and it has nothing to do with the "papyrocentric" environment
> in which the concept was originally applied. In the online universe as
> well, "fair use" and asking permission are mutually exclusive. If there is
> anything "incoherent" going on here, it is your persistence in using a
> legal term to denote a process that is the exact opposite of what it is
> meant to denote.

We evidently disagree on this, Sandy. But more than that, even after all
these
iterations it is clear that you have not understood what the Fair Use Button
does,
and what it is for.

If your difficulty grasping what the Button is about and for were a
representative response on the part of my target community -- journal
article authors and users -- then I would certainly go back to calling
the Button the "Request Copy" or "Email Eprint Request" Button.

But I suspect that the reason you keep systematically misunderstanding
it is that there is a conflict of interest: You do not *want* it to be
true that users asking for and authors providing eprints is feasible
and fair use, because you are worried about what that would imply for books:

Well don't worry: Unlike research journal article authors, book authors
are not in general interested in giving away their books for free,
otherwise they would not bother to publish them at all (since books are
not peer reviewed): They'd simply put them on the web for free, without
needing to ask anyone's permission, nor doing the extra keystroke for
each copy requested!

To repeat: It is Fair Use for an author to provide an individual paper
reprint or a digital eprint to an individual requester if he wishes. And it
is Fair Use for
the requester to read and print off and use that eprint. So the Fair Use
button is
Fair use on both ends. And no one is requesting or providing *permission*.
They
are requesting and providing a (digital) *copy*.

Chrs,

Stevan Harnad