Re: LIBER and DRIVER collaborate to build the European digital repository research infrastructure

From: Wolfram Horstmann <wolfram.horstmann_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:40:36 +0200

Dear Thomas,

congratulations for passing the 500k records mark.

Of course, DRIVER will work with subject-based initiatives such as RePEc.

The current test-bed phase of DRIVER is primarily focussing on setting up an
infrastructure for distributed repositories that enables the flexible
building of repository federations (e.g. type-based, subject-based etc.) and
"plugging in" of value-added services (recommendation, browsing, search,
citation analysis, usage etc.).

In terms of content aggregation, DRIVER is currently working with
institutional repositories and country-wise federations. While DRIVER is not
hosting their resources (e.g. full-text) itself but rather harmonizing and
enriching links and metadata, a primary objective is to handle only records
that carry a machine-readable link to the unrestricted resource. This
ensures the full functionality of all value-added services in the
infrastructure.

So, please let me know -- maybe directly, if it's becoming too technical for
the list -- how metadata-only records and restricted records can be
differentiated from "complete" records in RePEc and we will see how to
further this.

Best,
wolfram.