Success Rate of the First of the Self-Archiving Mandates: University of Southampton ECS

From: N. Miradon <nmiradon_at_YAHOO.FR>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 02:15:32 -0400

Professor Harnad wrote "The Department of Electronics and Computer Science
(ECS) at the University of Southampton was the world's first ... ECS's
deposit rate in 2006 (the fourth full year of the ECS mandate) is over 80%
for an ISI Web of Knowledge sample and nearly 100% for an ACM Digital
Library sample. ... This should encourage other universities to adopt
self-archiving mandates."

I know that RepositoryMan Dr Leslie Carr wrote
(http://repositoryman.blogspot.com/2007/09/self-deposit-rates-external-calibration.html)
"Consequently we genuinely can't answer questions about the percentage of
our research output that gets put into our repository, because we have know
independent way of knowing what the size of our research output is!"

But a quick search in the staff publications site
http://www.civil.soton.ac.uk/staff/allstaff/staffpubs.asp?NameID=**** (where
*** is a random integer between ?1 and ?1890) gives many publications that
do not seem to be available in http://eprints.soton.ac.uk .

It would be interesting to know the % deposit rate in ECS from all faculties
(Divisions, Research Centres) in Southampton University. Could someone do a
quick spidering of allstaff/staffpubs.asp ?

N.Miradon