Re: Success Rate of the First of the Self-Archiving Mandates:University of Southampton ECS

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:15:21 +0100

Hyperlinked version:
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/302-guid.html

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, N. Miradon wrote:

> I thank Professor Harnad for his long and detailed reply.
> Meanwhile, I have received some results from a random spidering of staff
> publication lists at
> http://www.civil.soton.ac.uk/staff/allstaff/staffpubs.asp?NameID=****
> Here are the first three entries
>
> Prof. Mike McDonald ... 307 publications (17 in ePrints Soton)
> Prof. Chris Clayton ... 221 publications (14 in ePrints Soton)
> Prof. AbuBakr Bahaj ... 155 publications (25 in ePrints Soton)

I am afraid I did not explain sufficiently explicitly: U. Southampton has a
number of other IRs (at least 13) besides the ECS Department's IR.
    http://roar.eprints.org/index.php?action=search&query=southampton+soton&
submit=Search
The biggest of them is the university-wide IR, ePrints Soton:
    http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/

However, as explained in my prior reply, whereas the departmental mandate
of the School of Electronics and Computer Science (ECS) was officially
adopted in January 2003, the university-wide mandate, though already
officially approved some time ago, is still (for reasons unknown to
me!) awaiting official adoption. In the meanwhile, the university as a
whole has no self-archiving mandate yet, so whatever deposits you find
in ePrints Soton will be the usual spontaneous (unmandated) ones (for
which the worldwide baseline deposit rate is about 15%), probably
increased in this case beyond that baseline also by library mediation
and encouragement
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/research/projects/tardis
(which Arthur Sale's analyses show to produce a better deposit rate,
but nothing anywhere near Alma Swan's predicted 80-90% for mandated
deposit).
    http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_10/sale/index.html
The deposit of only a subset of a researcher's total publications reflects
the fact that depositing current and future papers requires far fewer
keystrokes and effort than depositing one's full prior opus (which may
even require scanning and OCR) -- though eventually that should be
deposited too!).
    http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10688/

(CalTech, by the way, has at least 25 IRs!
    http://roar.eprints.org/index.php?action=search&query=caltech&submit=Sea
rch
)

I hope this dispels any further ambiguity!

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
    http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
    a suitable one exists.
    http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
    in your own institutional repository.
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://archives.eprints.org/
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/