Re: Re-Use Rights Already Come With the (Green) OA Territory: Judicet Lector

From: FrederickFriend <ucylfjf_at_UCL.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:51:03 +0100

Stevan,

You are strong enough not to worry how many people disagree with you, so I
know it will not cause you any "angst" if I write that I also agree with
Peter S, Peter M-R and Robert K that the UKPMC re-use agreement is vital for
future academic developments. With hindsight we were too slow to pick up on
the significance of the changes to copyright transfer agreements in the
1990s by which authors now assign all electronic rights to publishers.
Blanket assigning of electronic rights has created and is still creating
barriers in the electronic re-use of subscription content. We cannot afford
to make the same mistake of neglect on the arrangements for academic re-use
of OA content, whether green or gold.

Fred Friend