Re: Should Institutional Repositories Allow Opt-Out From (1) Mandates? (2) Metrics?

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:13:16 +0000

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Christian Zimmermann wrote:
> Re: whether download statistics should be put in CVs. I would not
> necessarily
> go that far (I do not put citation counts in my CV either),

I ought to highlight the fact that you do (we all do) put citation
counts on our CVs and publication lists and bibliographies. Granted we
don't do it *explicitly*, but the Journal Impact Factor has become
such an ingrained part of the scholarly system*** that simply naming
the publishing journal is tantamount to a citation metric. An
imprecise, aggregate metric, yes. But a clearly understood metric none
the less.
--
Les Carr
*** usual disclaimers about discipline differences and book publishing