Re: [SIGMETRICS] Continuous multi-metric research assessment

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:27:08 -0500

Adminstrative info for SIGMETRICS (for example unsubscribe):
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html

There is no contradiction or conflict between generating open, continuous
metrics and using them to measure and reward research performance,
continuously. Yes, every formula can be abused. But abuses can be detected
-- especially in the form of anomalous profiles within a multivariate
formula. A univariate metric is far easier to abuse than a profile of
inter-metric relations, both within a single author and across authors in a
field. Abuses can be penalized and formulas can be adjusted. And open
scrutiny is itself a deterrent to cheating and manipulation, especially for
academics. -- SH