Re: OA in developing countries

From: Pippa Smart <pippa.smart_at_GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:50:58 +0000

True, although some of them rely heavily on overseas subscriptions to
exist (to pay for "direct" costs such as printing, online hosting,
etc. which some institutions will not fund). The amounts of income
from these may look small to us, but may be indispensible to the
journals. In some regions ( e.g. some of the African countries) there
is a real fear of losing these subscriptions when the material
becomes available "free". In some of these cases the journals are
turning to European/American commercial publishers to retain these
lines of revenue - it is a shame that a different model cannot be
found to enable the journals to go OA (and improve their visibility
and impact) whilst retaining valuable income.

pippa

On 22/11/2007, Sally Morris (Morris Associates)