Re: A Simple Way to Optimize the NIH Public Access Policy

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:52:28 +0000

> > Gavin Baker:
> > Authors might choose to deposit in their
> > institutional repository; then, either their IR pushes the manuscript to
> > PMC, or PMC harvests the manuscript from the IR.
>
> Heather Morrison:
> My suggestion: institutional repositories would be well-advised to
> offer the service of additional deposit(s) in appropriate subject
> repositories if desired by their contributing authors.

Yes, this has been long anticipated, and the automatic Import/Export
as well as harvesting are already possible with the EPrints IR software:
http://www.eprints.org/documentation/tech/php/intro.php

(But what still is needed to set that all in motion is (i) that NIH should
mandate that the deposit should be in the author's own university's IR,
(ii) universities should mandate deposit too. Just the thought, plus the IR
capability alone are not enough...)

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
    http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
    a suitable one exists.
    http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
    in your own institutional repository.
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://archives.eprints.org/
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/