Re: Stimulating the Population of European Repositories results out

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 03:29:26 +0000

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Lynden, Frederick Charles wrote:

> The information on European Repositories seems long on "how to set
> up a repository"(which is, of course, useful) and short on statistics.
> How many institutional repositories of various types (e.g., university,
> special library, government, businesses, etc.) are there currently in
> Europe and the US? In other words, what are the numbers, i.e., facts?
> Are they growing? Obviously they are growing but at what rate? Are there
> comparative statistics from previous years?
> I would like to seem some data which is accurate and authoritative.

All the information you seek, along with the growth charts and stats.
are in ROAR (Registry of Open Access Repositories)
http://roar.eprints.org/

(Created and maintained by Dr. Tim Brody at U. Southampton, ROAR has been
available and tracking IR growth for about five years now. Please Google:
"Please Register All OA Institutional Archives")

To track the growth of Green OA Self-Archiving Mandates, please see ROAR's
sister site, ROARMAP, also up for about a half decade now, but only lately
beginning to gather speed:
http://www.eprints.org/signup/fulllist.php

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
    http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
    a suitable one exists.
    http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
    in your own institutional repository.
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://roar.eprints.org/
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/