Re: One year since conference on "Scientific Publishing in the European Research Area"

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:00:15 +0000

If M. Miradon at N. Miradon nmiradon AT YAHOO.FR is willing to receive
and compile the names, the American Scientist Open Access Forum --
along with a few Euroscience organizations -- could certainly
co-submit it on behalf of the signatories.

One suggestion: It is (regrettably) true that the conference and theme
in question has been dubbed "Scientific Publishing in the European
Research Area": It should of course have been called "Scientific
Communication in the European Research Area" -- but in our statement,
we need not keep repeating "publishing" unnecessarily, as it is not
publishing reform or even OA publishing that this is all about, but
about providing access to those research publications. Hence it is a
communication issue, not a publishing issue.

Stevan Harnad