Re: New Ranking of Central and Institutional Repositories

From: Talat Chaudhri [tac] <tac_at_ABER.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:46:47 -0000

I imagine that this is precisely why the Computer Science department
asked for the script to be written, to make sure that their pages will
no longer be out of date. The knock-on effect is that other departments
can get it too. I might add that it really isn't very hard to achieve,
and is a useful additional service and incentive to deposit. The
anecdotal evidence that you give about these sorts of departments'
search methods is useful and interesting: thank you, Arthur.

Our departments currently have full control over the format of their web
pages, which I suspect will not change soon.

I can't comment about EPrints, which may well not need any PHP (or other
script). We use DSpace, which doesn't have a function to provide a
bibliography that can be incorporated neatly into web pages as the
department clearly wanted. In fact, you can simply use the link if you
like, but will get a bibliography on a white background with no
presentation or institutional/departmental identity. One doesn't have to
be a programmer to paste one tiny tag like this in a web page:

<?php
include("http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/export/Surname,%20Firstname/Citations.
html"); ?> [author]
<?php include("http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/export/2160/19/Citations.html");
?> [dept or collection]

You can try these with or without the PHP include, to show the
difference (top one obviously needs an author's name). The form here
would obviously need you to make a test page of HTML with formatting,
but you imagine how it would work.

Of course you could merely follow a link to the author's stuff in the
repository, but that isn't a very friendly service with DSpace
repositories in the present version. I just meant to describe a useful
script. Our technical staff may well be happy for other DSpace
repositories to use it, to whom I can direct any enquiries. I hope this
helps someone.

Talat