Re: Copyright and OA

From: C.Oppenheim_at_lboro.ac.uk <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:37:18 +0000

Just a minor correction to point 6(a). The concept of "implied licences" is very fuzzy, and it is a mistake to assume that by placing something on the web, the rightsholder is offering an implied licence to copy. Just to give an example: - my Department has pages on the web describing our courses and programmes. There is NO implied licence for a competitor department to copy these and use these copies as the basis of its own web presence. Therefore, an explicit statement informing people that they are free to copy is appropriate.

Charles

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Head