Re: Central versus institutional self-archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:35:30 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Everyone seems to be miscounting: dividing by the wrong denominator (or not
counting at all)

The only relevant question is

What percent of annual institutional OA target output (i.e. refereed
postprints) is being made OA in the various different ways:

(1) Anywhere online, unmandated
(2) In an IR, unmandated
(3) in a CR, unmandated
(4) In an IR, mandated
(5) In a CR, mandated

Note that absolute numbers are of no interest in any of these cases: only
percentages of institutional annual postprint output are.

Note that the denominator for CRs is far bigger: The number of postprints
deposited must be divided by all the postprints from all the IRs producing
the CR content.

The baseline to beat is about 5-15% (the spontaneous unmandated OA
self-archiving rate.)

No happy stories about how researchers take to social networking like fish
to water answer any of these questions, or provide any of these figures.

These are not bullets, they are just methodological and logical criteria for
drawing meaningful conclusions from objective data.

Stevan Harnad